AMC GLOBLE-Australian Migration Consultants LOGO

Post-Study Work Stream


The criteria of this Stream are similar to the one above. The added condition is that you are a graduate of an Australian Institute. Likewise, if your skillset is required in the Australian workplace, you can avail yourself of the chance to live, work and study there.


  • Live, study and work in Australia Temporarily
  • Students can bring their parents and family members



3 Types of Post Study Work Visa

Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) – Post-Study Work Stream. The most prevalent post-study employment visa is intended for overseas students who have just graduated from an Australian educational institution with appropriate qualifications, regardless of their subject of study. They must apply for this visa within 6 months of completing their study; the stay length ranges from 2 to 4 years depending on the qualification.
Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) – Graduate Work Stream is for overseas students who have graduated with skills and credentials for jobs on the skilled occupation list. The skills and credentials are generally closely tied to an occupation regarded as being in demand in the Australian labor market in the medium to long term. The term of residence is up to 18 months, and students must apply for this visa within 6 months of finishing their education.
Skilled Recognised Graduate Visa (Subclass 476) -is for overseas students who have completed engineering studies at a certain educational institution within the past two years. The stay might last up to 18 months.


Depending on your education, it usually takes between two and four years. However, Hong Kong and British National Overseas Passport Holders have the opportunity to stay for up to 5 years.

Processing Time

  • 7 months for 25% of applications
  • 8 months for 50% of applications
  • 12 months for 75% of applications
  • 14 months for 90% of applications


Starting from 1700 AUD


  • 4 years for a PhD
  • 3 years for a research master’s degree
  • Coursework Masters or 2 years for a bachelor’s degree
  • See: for the most recent regional visa changes and how they effect this visa. International graduates from regional universities are eligible for an additional one-year visa.


  • A Post Study Work Visa is only available if you filed for and were granted your first student visa on or after November 5, 2011.
  • You are not eligible if you have held a student visa that you applied for before to November 5, 2011. This might include scenarios in which you studied and went home, possessed a visa to study non-award courses or English classes, or even held a student visa as a dependant.
  • Even if you have a student visa that you applied for on or after November 5, 2011, you will be disqualified if you previously held a student visa that you applied for before to this date.


In Australia, you must complete a course or sequence of courses that last at least two academic years. There are several requirements:

  • Only bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees count toward the two-year requirement.
  • The studies must be registered on CRICOS, and the total registered study length must be at least 92 weeks, according to CRICOS.
  • Exemptions for international study may be counted against you when computing the 92-week minimum.
  • You may count more than one course as long as each course fits the following criteria and results in two academic years of study.
  • You can take a break between classes.

When you submit your 485 visa application, you must demonstrate your English language proficiency.

  • You may demonstrate this in one of several ways:
  • Hold a passport from the United Kingdom, Ireland, the United States, Canada, or New Zealand
  •  IELTS (Academic or General Training): overall average of 6 and at least 5 in each band
  •  Occupational English Test (OET): B Pass in each band; or Pearson (PTE Academic): overall average of 50 with at least 36 in each band
  •  TOEFL iBT (Internet Based Test): total score of 64, with at least 4 in Listening and Reading and at least 14


  • When your 485 visa is issued, you must demonstrate that you have acceptable health insurance arrangements. While having OSHC (Overseas Student Health Cover) at the time of application is acceptable, you will require Working Visa cover in order for your 485 visa to be approved.
  • You must also have your Working Visa coverage active while on your 485 visa. If you do not maintain this level of protection, your 485 visa may be revoked.
  • Note : Medicals are usually required for the issuance of a 485 visa. You may be permitted to re-use these medicals if you recently sought for a student visa extension.


  • When you apply for a 485 visa, you will often be granted a Bridging A visa, which allows you to remain in Australia while your 485 visa application is being processed.
  • The Bridging A visa provides complete work authorization. If you had a substantive visa (for example, a student visa) when you applied for your 485, your employment privileges on the bridging visa will begin when the substantive visa ends.
  • If you leave Australia, your Bridging A visa may expire. If you need to travel while waiting for a decision on your 485 visa, you can apply for a Bridging Visa B.


You will require an Australian Federal Police (AFP) check for yourself and any family members aged 16 and over. Prior to submitting your 485 visa application, you must apply for AFP checks.


  • You must apply for your 485 visa within 6 months after finishing your studies in Australia. When you apply, you must either have a student visa or have held a student visa within the past 6 months. 
  • You must also ensure that you apply before your student visa expires, or that you have filed for another visa and are on a bridging A or B visa at the time the 485 application is submitted.


  • Post-Study Work Stream: For international students who have completed a higher education degree from an Australian education provider, regardless of field of study. This stream is only open to students who applied for and received their first student visa to Australia on or after November 5, 2011. Depending on the visa applicant’s qualifications, a visa in this category can be issued for up to four years from the date of issuance.
  • The Graduate Work Stream is for overseas students with an eligible qualification who graduate with skills and qualifications related to an eligible skilled occupation on the list. A visa in this category is valid for 18 months from the date of issuance.
  • You propose a job for the Medium and Long-Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL).
  • Your visa application included documentation that you have applied to a relevant assessing authority for a skills assessment for your specified skilled occupation.
  • A relevant assessing authority has determined that your skills are appropriate for your specified skilled employment (‘suitable skills assessment’).
  • Each degree, certificate, or trade qualification required to complete the Australian study requirement is closely tied to your specified skilled vocation.

On or after November 5, 2011, you applied for your first student visa.

  • Have completed two years of bachelor’s level or higher study in Australia Have finished a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, or PhD within the last six months
  • Have held a student visa within the last 6 months and be in possession of a substantive visa, bridging A or B visa at the time of application
  • English: If you have a passport from the United Kingdom, Ireland, the United States, Canada, or New Zealand, you will not be required to take an English test. Otherwise, you must take one of the following English proficiency tests: IELTS, OET, Pearson (PTE Academic), TOEFL iBT, or Cambridge (CAE Advanced).
  • At the time of application, you must be under the age of 50.

Australian migration is a very complex process so it is always advised to consult with a professional before you proceed with the application.

Scroll to Top
× How can we help you?