AMC GLOBLE-Australian Migration Consultants LOGO

Student visa to Permanent Residence

After studying in Australia, there are options for permanent residency.
Some students come to Australia and fall in love with the country, deciding to stay and apply for a Permanent Residence Visa once their studies are through.

When selecting a course, it is critical to consider the course’s prospects and chances of obtaining a permanent visa. Looking at our occupation listings to determine which list(s) and visas you come under could be a good place to start. Please keep in mind that, while your occupation may be on the list RIGHT NOW, it may be removed by the time you are eligible for a PR visa or another temporary visa that gets you closer to receiving a PR.

Apart from the course, you select, there are other aspects to consider, including:

  • Age
  • Ability to communicate in English
  • Qualifications
  • Experience in the workplace
  • Partner’s skills.
Routes to Permanent Residency in Australia
Every year, tens of thousands of students from all over the world pick Australia as their study destination. While many students choose to return to their home country after completing their studies, others choose to stay in Australia. However, before being able to call Australia home, each student must apply for permanent residence and be accepted.
International students can choose from a variety of options. A variety of factors, including your educational background, English language skills, work history, and other prerequisites, will determine which one is best for you. Below are the three most prevalent visa options or paths.



The findings are valid for two years, and the test must have been taken no more than two years before to the application for a student visa.

Yes, the applicant can satisfy the English language criterion if he or she has completed a course at the Certificate IV or higher level in Australia during the two years prior to applying for the visa.

For student visa purposes, the living costs for the main student or guardian are AUD 19,830, AUD 6,940 for the partner or spouse, and AUD 2,970 for each child. When including school-aged children in the Student visa application, schooling fees of at least AUD 8,000 per year for each child must be added to the amount of fund necessary.

  • Post-Study Work Stream: For international students who have completed a higher education degree from an Australian education provider, regardless of field of study. This stream is only open to students who applied for and received their first student visa to Australia on or after November 5, 2011. Depending on the visa applicant’s qualifications, a visa in this category can be issued for up to four years from the date of issuance.
  • The Graduate Work Stream is for overseas students with an eligible qualification who graduate with skills and qualifications related to an eligible skilled occupation on the list. A visa in this category is valid for 18 months from the date of issuance.
  • You propose a job for the Medium and Long-Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL).
  • Your visa application included documentation that you have applied to a relevant assessing authority for a skills assessment for your specified skilled occupation.
  • A relevant assessing authority has determined that your skills are appropriate for your specified skilled employment (‘suitable skills assessment’).
  • Each degree, certificate, or trade qualification required to complete the Australian study requirement is closely tied to your specified skilled vocation.

On or after November 5, 2011, you applied for your first student visa.

  • Have completed two years of bachelor’s level or higher study in Australia Have finished a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, or PhD within the last six months
  • Have held a student visa within the last 6 months and be in possession of a substantive visa, bridging A or B visa at the time of application
  • English: If you have a passport from the United Kingdom, Ireland, the United States, Canada, or New Zealand, you will not be required to take an English test. Otherwise, you must take one of the following English proficiency tests: IELTS, OET, Pearson (PTE Academic), TOEFL iBT, or Cambridge (CAE Advanced).
  • At the time of application, you must be under the age of 50.

Australian migration is a very complex process so it is always advised to consult with a professional before you proceed with the application.


    Scroll to Top
    × How can we help you?